Saturday, August 15, 2009

Doulos, my floating playground

And so we get a great opportunity to meet Doulos again. :)



Doulos is known, and recorded by Guinness Book as the oldest ship in the world. She is a younger sister of Titanic for 2 years and once was loaded onions from New York to Texas. Before Doulos, this giant ship was named as Roma in 1948 and Franca C in 1952. Finally, she got her recent name, Doulos, in 1977. After Titanic lied hiself in peace under the Atlantic ocean, Doulos became the oldest ship which still sails around the world running by a private, non-profit, charitable organization registered in Germany.



Doulos also now is famous for the biggest floating book shop. The main purpose of her is to share a message of hope in God wherever there is opportunity. There are estimately 300 volunteer crews from 30 countries and visited more than 100 countries all over the world.



The last time of her visit here was about a few years ago. I heard the news of her from somewhere and for some reason, I regretfully missed saying Hi to her.



A few weeks ago, I read about Doulos from the news paper. And I promised to myself that I would not miss her again.



So I changed my Saturday plan of visiting a Christian guy who invited me to his place near my house. After I've tried to clear my work, I filled my schedule with "Doulos."



I went there with Seub. We were clumsily driving with no idea which direction we'd go. After about half an hour that we took expressway, finally, we could make our way to her, Doulos.





There it is! The giant white ship.



The way up there,
I kept telling myself....
"No... I'm not scared of hight. No... I'm not scared of falling down."



Inside the ship, there're many activities which provided by volunteer crews.
I heard kids laughed and saw them smiled and ran around.



And there you see Kaptain of MV Doulos





On the way to the book section,
you can see Chao Praya river view outside the windows.



The book store section
A lot of people there.





While children're enjoying activities inside,
I ran around the book store section as it's my playground.




One of my favorite shelf,
Children development and story books.



Also this one, kid activity books
They're a resource of idea to seduce children.



Some interesting books (for only me somehow)





Toto Chan,
the first book that led me to reading world.





Not so many chances to enjoy books and the main river of Thailand at the same time.



And there she is!!
The cutest girl on Doulos is here!!



I took a couple hours there enjoyed running from a bookshelf to another shelf and to another... I wish I could have spent more time there but I didn't want someone who joined me got bored with stacks of thousand books which he had no idea how to enjoy them. So I decided to left there before the sun set.





Time to say goodbye to Doulos.



I had mix feeling when I was down there.
I was sad to left since I knew that this was the only one chance for me to enjoy this floating playground and I was glad... that I could get down from the ladder safty!

No comments:

Post a Comment