Friday, October 23, 2009

Shocking pink season

There's a storm last night.


When I was in bed, I heard the sky screamed and the rain poured as if they angried with someone. I hid myself under my blanket and prayed for a bright morning and nice day.


And this is what I found when I was awake this morning.





A beautiful shocking-pinked carpet









The ground was covered by those vivid pink thing.




What is it?


It's called "Malay Apple" or "Chompoo Mameaw" in Thai.








Sweet'n sour juicy maroon-coloured fruit
Picture from menu.buddythai.com










What a vivid colour!




Those thousand shocking-pinked soft needles are the androecium.








Malay Apple bud








You will see the petals cover the androecium apparently while the only one pistil is hiding among those needles.






When the flower's abloom, a hundred of the androecium would be more notable than its petals.








During October to November is the season of Malay Apple. Our only one Malay Apple tree is aside our wall and has been being there since before I could remember. My cousin and I love the fruit because it tastes sour, sweet and soft. My cousin loved it so much that she used the Thai name of the tree, Mameaw, to name her newborn brother.




Well... before you bite it, beware of some creatures inside. Besides us who love the juicy fruit, there're worms appreciate the fruit also.




We will know that the season of Chompoo Mameaw arrives when we see the ground is covered by those thousand pink soft needles. But... unfortunately, the fruits would disappear before we know it. There're burglars steal those Malay apples away before we would have chance to get them.




The worst is that they often taste, leave their bites on those apples and leave them right there on the trees. How hurt to see those juicy maroon apples which you thought they are perfect but when you gradually evolve the fruit then you find a bite on another side and you reliaze that the fruit is no longer edible.




Although how much I love animals but this period is an exeption. Since they steal our Chompoo Mameaw-s away, I dislike squirrels for these few months.


Beautiful, isn't it.


How amazing the natural is!

Amazingly, not only Malay Apple fruit that is edible but those shocking-pinked parts is either!!




They taste a little bit sour and it tastes amazing when you add them in salad.




Today, I took a look at the flowers for awhile. When I realized that I may not have chance to have the fruits since some guys would take or taste them before I could get them, I then thought about what I should do with the Malay Apple tree.




I climbed the tree and gradually twist the flowers off one by one. I pulled those pink parts out off the calyx and rinse them until I was sure that they're clean enough. Then I prepared the ingredients which there were syrup made from reduced palm sugar and fishsauce, lime juice, fried sliced garlic and red onion, boiled minced chicken and red pepper flakes then mixed them with Malay Apple androecium.






Unbelievably, this dish was edible!!!


And it tasted amazingly!!!


(For Thais only somehow)





I made the dish just to avoid Malay Apple fruit stealers. But when I left the dish on my dining table to played with my pets for awhile, I got back to the table to find that my spicy Chompoo Mameaw androecium salad disappeared.... There also was Malay Apple dish stealer.
























Let me finish this post with the last picture I have taken before I broomed my shocking-pinked ground.

Here it is... my vivid heart




Anyone wanna take it?



















No comments:

Post a Comment